Rothenburg and the Romantic Road
A Fantastic Day in the Middle Ages
,,,,Rothenburg … the famous walled city, frozen in time … it is every bit as amazing it as you have always heard! Let us take you to Rothenburg for the day and transport you into the feudal world of the middle ages. Spared from destruction during the 30 Years War (a great story we will tell you all about), the heart of Rothenburg has stayed pretty much the same ever since. Thus, we can visit a town with its defensive walls still entirely intact, complete with towers and elevated walkways. Rothenburg is full of winding lanes and half-timbered houses. We show you this fantastic city and cover its rich history – it was once one of the 10 largest cities in the entire Holy Roman Empire!
On top of all of this, Rothenburg is also known as the Christmas Capital. It is home to the Käthe Wohlfahrt chain of Christmas stores and their fantastic Christmas Museum – a visit not to be missed for any fan of Christmas.
To get to Rothenburg we drive along a stretch of the famous Romantic Road, which gets its name from the well-preserved medieval trading route with medieval towns and castles along its way. There is an optional stop at Harburg Castle, pretty much unchanged since the 15th century. We always stop for coffee in pretty Dinkelbühl which is also a completely walled town with a distinctly different story, architectural look and feel than Rothenburg.
The photos below were taken during past tours. The galleries for Rothenburg, the Romantic Road (incl. Dinkelsbühl) and the Tour Options (Harburg Castle) show how wonderful Rothenburg and the Romantic Road are!
- Private tour to Rothenburg ob der Tauber from Munich
- Personal tour of the completely walled city of Rothenburg with intact medieval architecture
- Plenty of free time in the afternoon for exploring and shopping, for instance at the:
- Christmas Museum or the Museum of Medieval Criminal Justice (aka torture museum)
- Optional photo stop at Harburg Castle, one of the most impressive remaining medieval castles in Germany
- Coffee break in picturesque Dinkelsbühl
- Door-to-door transportation to and from your hotel or designated place
- Start time is usually 8:30 or 9:00 and we arrive back in Munich around 6:00 or 6:30 pm
- Always an experienced, knowledgeable and friendly driver/guide
- Simple and transparent pricing with no hidden costs
- It is a long drive to Rothenburg from Munich (ca. 2.5 hrs), but well worth it!
- Overnight trips to Rothenburg are also possible, as are combinations with other destinations.
- One popular combination is a two-day Rothenburg and Nuremberg trip.
- We also often combine Rothenburg with Neuschwanstein Castle on a two-day tour.
- Rothenburg is a great overnight stop on longer distance transfers, e.g. from Munich to Frankfurt.
- The prices for our private tours are group prices, i.e. one price for the entire group.
- Our listed prices are for up to 6 travelers. We are able to accommodate a 7th person for a small extra fee.
- Please contact us for a price for 8 or more travelers.
- Entrance fees are extra (listed below)
- Single traveler discounts available
Tour Price: EUR 970,-
- Additional charge for 7th person: EUR 40,-
- Entrance fees for optionals :
- Harburg Castle: EUR 3,-
- Criminal Justice Museum: EUR 5,-