A Trip to the UNESCO Old Town, Mozart and the Sound of Music
Let us take you on a magical day to Austria and the lovely city of Salzburg, with its UNESCO listed Old Town. Originally a Roman settlement, Salzburg was revived around the year 700 by the bishop and missionary Ruprecht, who founded a monastery which still exists today. It follows that Salzburg is a city of churches, and topping the list is the magnificent Salzburg Cathedral with its impressive dome. We will see that on our stroll through the old town and its internationally renowned baroque architecture. We also visit the Mirabell Gardens, among the lovliest in Europe. Salzburg is also known as the “Home of Mozart and The Sound of Music”, and we can tailor the tour to see many sites from the the movie.
After a fine Austrian lunch there are several nice options to spend the afternoon. We can stay in the old town, for example to shop or to visit to the impressive fortress, or we can head outside the city to several fantastic options as detailed below.
The Salzburg fortress was built in the 11th century by the Prince-Bishops of Salzburg and is reachable via a funicular. The old town has many small local shops and a few wonderful coffeehouses. The Salzkammergut lake distict is really pretty and has several qauint villages, including St. Gilgen and iconic St. Wolfgang. And Hellbrunn Palace with the trick water fountains is a great option for families with young children in the summer.
Even getting to and from Salzburg is part of the adventure, as the drive through the Bavarian countryside along the northern rim of the Alps is truly scenic.
Private Day Tour to Salzburg from Munich
- A beautiful drive to & from Salzburg along the northern rim of the Alps
- Guided walking tour of the medieval old town of Salzburg
- Visits to the cathedral and some of the wonderful churches of Salzburg
- Sights from the movie The Sound of Music (option)
- Panoramic view and photo opp over the city including view of the Fortress
- Several afternoon options (see Tour Options section below)
- Door-to-door transportation to and from your hotel or designated place
- Start time is usually 8:30 or 9 am and we arrive back in Munich around 6 or 6:30 pm
- Experienced, knowledgeable and friendly driver/guide
- Simple and transparent pricing with no hidden costs
- Full Sound of Music tour with visits to outlying areas – the hills are alive!
- Afternoon in the city with an optional trip up the funicular to the fortress
- Stunning Salzkammergut lake district with photo stops
- Hellbrunn Palace with its trick water fountains
- A visit to the impressive Hohenwerfen Castle with fantastic falconry show
- A visit to the worlds largest ice cave high in the mountains (must be done in the morning)
Salzburg can be part of a multi-day tour including such things as the Salzkammergut lake district, Hohenwerfen Castle, and Berchtesgaden.
- The prices for our private tours are group prices, i.e. one price for the entire group.
- Our listed prices are for up to 6 travelers. We are able to accomodate a 7th person for a small extra fee.
- Please contact us for a price for 8 or more travelers.
- Entrance fees are extra (listed below)
- Single traveler discounts available
Tour Price: EUR 840,-
- Additional charge for 7th person: EUR 60,-
- Entrance fees (ALL OPTIONAL):
- Funicular to fortress: EUR 11,- / 6,30
- Mozart’s birthplace: EUR 12,- / 4,-
- Boat ride on Lake Wolfgang: EUR 8,50 / ages 4-14 free
- Hellbrunn Palace & trick water fountains: EUR 13,50 / 6,-
- Hohenwerfen Castle with falconry show: EUR 16,90 / 9,90
- Eisriesenwelt (world’s largest ice cave): EUR 33,- / 23,- / 18,-
Prices are listed as adult / child
Family and advance purchase discounts are available at many attractions